Paid Directory Submission Checklist
By: Lakhya Phukan
Every online business needs traffic, which comes with increased
visibility on the web. One great way to get noticed is to get
listed in the major directories. Links from good directories
increases your site's visibility many fold.
There are thousands of web directories on the net and selecting
the good ones to submit your site can be a time consuming task.
Also there are free directories and paid directories. You need to
submit to both types of directories.
The following checklist is for paid directory submission only.
This checklist will help you choose the best and worthwhile paid
directories on the net.
Submission Check List:
1. Check out if the directory is indexed in major search engines.
2. Check the robots.txt file. Make sure that search engine bots
are allowed to crawl the pages where you intend to put your
listing. Check the Meta tags to make sure that search engine
spiders are not prevented from following links in it. A Meta tag
with noindex/nofollow will not be indexed or spidered and links
in that page are not followed by bots.
3. Check if the directory is being maintained regularly. Visit
the directory from time to time to see if errors are getting
corrected, site information is getting updated and the like. In
short, look for positive activity on the directory.
4. Check if the listings in category pages match in theme and
content or not. Directories with tight focus on relevant grouping
of web sites are useful for visitors and tend to show up
frequently in SERPs for keyword searches.
5. Check out the age of the directory. Do a whois search
(http://www.whois.net) to get this information. Many new
directories vanish after a few months due to lack of maintenance
and promotion. With older directories you can at least be sure
that you listing will remain visible for a reasonable period.
6. Check if the directory consists of too many empty categories-
it is not useful for visitors and also does not send a too good
signal to the SEs about the directory. Think twice before
submitting to such directories.
7. Check if the contact information is available on the site.
Proper businesses will provide you with some kind of contact
8. Check the Alexa rank of the directory - it is not accurate,
yet you can get an idea of traffic the directory receives.Look
for directories with decreasing Alexa Rank as it indicates that
the directory is getting popular.
9. Check if the directory provides SE friendly urls. No
Sometimes search engines find it difficult indexing or
recognizing dynamic urls with parameters like
http://www..com/index.html?cat=1&p=12... An example
of SE friendly URL is http://www.hedir.com/business.html
10. Check whether category pages have too many outgoing links. If
your link is one of 100 links on a page, visitors will find it
difficult to locate your site.
Lakhya Phukan is the webmaster of Hedir Web Directory. You can submit your site at hedir.
Or search for the syndicated directory list at hedir.
Back to Search Engine Marketing and Optimization Articles
SEO Commerce uses the latest technology to construct search engine friendly shopping carts. This means all your products are 100% visible to search engines, increasing the opportunity to have your products show up when potential customers search online.
Search Engine Optimized Realtor
Is your Realtor® website getting the results you want?
You know home buyers are searching online. Why aren't they finding your
website? Or, why aren't they contacting you?
Improve Your Online Marketing ROI
Online marketing performance tracking provides the basis for intelligent decision making. It lets you adjust and fine-tune your online marketing initiatives to optimize conversion rates, marketing campaigns, and website ROI.
How to maximize sales potential with search engine friendly e-commerce technology.
4 ways search engine friendly shopping carts by SEO Commerce ™ improve your e-commerce site’s performance:
1. Boosts search engine ranking for individual product pages on your website.
2. Increases sales potential by making it easier to buy from you.
3. Requires much less time investment than shopping cart software packages.
4. Shows detailed performance reports with advanced information about shopping cart performance and buyer behavior.